Sunday, June 1, 2014

balance between nature & nurture


I began parenting twenty-six years ago. I can honestly say that I parented, and still do, the best I can with what I have and know to do. I’m not a perfect parent but do strive to be the best parent I can be today.

In a week, my youngest will graduate from High School and begin the journey of independence his three older siblings have embarked on successfully. I’m very proud of my children. I’m delighted in who they were, who they are and who they are becoming. When they were young and learning their first words, developing mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually, I never once assumed, expected or even desired that they would never change. I’ve noticed that my own unconditional love and acceptance of them embraces such change, and always should. Who my kids are now is only a portion of who they have been, and are becoming. I don’t expect my kids to be perfect but I do expect them to continue learning and growing into the best “them” they can be.

Selfishly, I must admit, I learn so much from my children. Watching, listening and interacting with them in their world have taught me so many life lessons that have helped me on my journey. I couldn't imagine my life without them, nor would I want to.

Some people wake up in the morning and admire the beauty of their blossoming garden. I look at pictures and social media posts of my kids and smile. When I’m able to wrap my arms around my children there is still something in me that makes me not want to let go. That “something” is not fear or protection; it is my desire to savor that moment and somehow cause time to stand still. But time has its way with all of us. It is that continual balance between nature and nurture. Love it, and love “them” completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment